Tuesday, September 24, 2013

The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon

The Bone Season is the first in a projected series of 7 books. Shannon has been touted as the next J.K. Rowling. Although the book was pretty good, I think there were too many flaws to deserve any comparison to the Potter books.  The characters were interesting, although fairly superficial. My main complaint though, was the world the story was set in. It was very different from ours and details were pretty skimpy. There was a whole host of names,vocabulary and concepts that were not really explained. (Perhaps it would have helped if I'd known there was a glossary at the end of the book).  I suppose the premise is intriguing, and by the end of the book I was a little bit more interested in what was happening, but overall I don't think the book lives up to the hype.  With some more experience the series could become something really good, let's hope so!

No comments:

Post a Comment