Thursday, February 28, 2013

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz



The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz is a novel which spans generations and countries. Oscar, the main character, is an overweight nerd of Dominican heritage living in New Jersey. He loves reading, especially superhero and sci-fi/ fantasy (Tolkien) literature. This is at once his salvation and ruination. I enjoyed learning about the history of the Dominican Republic and it's culture. It was also interesting to get inside the head of Oscar, although I am not a reader of Science Fiction, Fantasy or comic superheroes. What I didn't enjoy about the book, was the pacing. I found myself just getting into a character (ie Oscar's mother) and then having to switch gears onto his sister's boyfriend (whose name is not clearly mentioned). In addition to that, the Spanish word usage, repeated profanity and periodic footnotes made it a challenging read for me. Overall, I'm glad I read it, but be aware of the aforementioned issues before reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment